Revamp that hand-me-down bassinet with a new insert cover! So simple to make with only a yard of fabric! Also, what parent couldn’t use some extra sheets when baby decides to spit up or have a blow out??? With how easy this DIY is, you will have sheets galore in the fabric of your choice!
While I am (not so) patiently waiting for the arrival of baby #2, I have been busying myself with various sewing projects in between bouts of nesting and cleaning. When I pulled out my sons bassinet to put in our room, I had a flashbacks of spit up…as I could still see the stains on the old mattress insert cover. It HAD to go. So, I took it off and looked at it and thought “wow this would be easy peasy to make!”.
Here is what you will need:
- 1 yard of fabric (something soft, like cotton), pre-washed.
- Matching thread
- Pins, scissors, ruler, sewing machine
Let’s get started!
- Cut out your pieces (see diagram) – I literally traced the bassinet insert cover I had to get the measurements since there was no depth to it. I believe most of the bassinets are made the same size but double check yours to be sure! Here are the measurements I got:
- 1 piece measuring 32.5″ x 16.5″
- 2 half circle pieces measuring 7.5″ x 16″
- 2 rectangular pieces measuring 18.5″ x 3″
2. Serge, overlock stitch, or zig zag stitch one long edge of each of the long rectangular pieces, as seen below. Essentially, this is just making sure the raw edges do not fray.
3. Pin the short end of each rectangular piece to the straight end of each half circle piece (at the corners), right sides together. Stitch at 1/4″ seam.
4. Repeat with other half circle piece.
5. Serge, overlock, or zig zag the entire straight end of both half circle pieces.
6. Press seams toward the center and the back is now complete.
7. Pin the finished back piece to the front piece, right sides together. Stitch at 1/4″ seam. Serge, overlock, or zig zag to finish.
8. Turn right side out, press, and you’re done! So easy!
Keep on craftin’!
Check out other creations here, in the Keystone Peach Etsy Shop!