“For without words, in friendship, all thoughts, all desires, all expectations are born and shared, with joy that is unacclaimed.” ~Kahlil Gibran,The Prophet~
A List of Words Worth Using
- Mellifluous – A sound that is sweet and smooth, pleasing to hear.
- Ineffable – Too great to be expressed in words.
- Sonorous – An imposingly deep and full sound.
- Ethereal – Extremely delicate, light, not of this world.
- Ephemeral – Lasting for a very short time
- Serendipity – The chance occurrence of events in a beneficial way.
- Limerence – The state of being infatuated with another person.
- Petrichor – The pleasant, earthy smell after rain.
- Solitude – A state of seclusion or isolation.
- Aurora – Dawn.
- Syzygy – An alignment of celestial bodies.
- Denouement – The resolution of a narrative.
- Vellichor – The strange wistfulness of used bookshops.
- Eloquence – The art of using language in an apt, fluent way.
- Sonder – The realization that each passerby has a life as vivid and complex as your own.
- Effervescence – Bubbles in a liquid; lively; sparkling.
- Nemophilist – A haunter of the woods; one who loves the forest and its beauty and solitude.
- Meliorism – The belief that the world gets better; the belief that humans can improve the world.
- Acatalepsy – The impossibility of comprehending the universe; the belief that human knowledge can never have true certainty.
- Chimera – Mythical beast; any unreal thing; foolish fancy.
- Brontide – The low rumbling of distant thunder.
- Autolatry – The worship of one’s self.
- Metanoia – The journey of changing one’s mind, heart, self, or way of life.
- Sophrosyne (greek/noun) – A healthy state of mind, characterized by self-control, moderation, and a deep awareness of one’s true self, and resulting in true happiness.
- Fernweh (german/noun) – An ache for distant places; The craving for travel.
- Smultronstalle (swedish/noun) – “Place of wild strawberries”; a special place discovered, treasured, returned to for solace and relaxation; a personal idyll free from stress or sadness.
- Rasasvada (sanskrit/noun) – The taste of bliss in the absence of all thoughts.
- Nefelibata (spanish/noun) – “Cloud walker”; one who lives in the clouds of their own imagination or dreams, or one who does not obey the conventions of society, literature, or art.
- Derive (french/noun) – “Drift”; a spontaneous journey where the traveller leaves their life behind for a time to let the spirit of the landscape and architecture attract and move them.
- Tsundoku (japanese/noun) – Buying books and not reading them; letting books pile up unread on shelves or floors or nightstands.
Though this list only scratches the surface of beautiful words, I hope they can resonate with others as they have with myself.
Speak kindly, thoughtfully, and purposefully.